ESS Topline Series
The following compilations of findings have been published and are available for download. These are authored by external academics having analysed ESS data.
Key findings from the first three rounds of the ESS - this mostly draws upon academic work using ESS data that has been published in books and journals.
Key findings from the first five rounds of the ESS - this draws on further examples of published academic work using ESS data (translated versions of this publication are available in Bosnian, Latvian and Luxembourgish).
In 2011, we launched a new series of ESS Topline Results, which are concise cross-national summaries of particular topics covered in the questionnaire. Topline publications are written by the groups of academics whose rotating module was selected for the ESS.
- 1. Trust in Justice (also available in Croatian and Finnish)
- 2. Welfare Attitudes in Europe (also available in Croatian, Cypriot Greek, Turkish and Ukrainian)
- 3. Economic Crisis, Quality of Work and Social Integration (also available in Serbian)
- 4. Europeans' Understandings and Evaluations of Democracy (also available in Albanian, Bulgarian, German, Italian, Lithuanian and Slovak)
- 5. Europeans' Personal and Social Wellbeing (also available in Albanian, French, Hungarian, Italian, Lithuanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovene and Sweden)
- 6. Social Inequalities in Health and their Determinants (also available in Danish, French, German, Irish Gaelic, Lithuanian, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovene and Spanish)
- 7. Attitudes towards Immigration and their Antecedents (also available in Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Hebrew, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Slovene and Spanish)
- 8. The Past, Present and Future of European Welfare Attitudes (also available in Bulgarian, French, German and Spanish)
- 9. European Attitudes towards Climate Change and Energy (also available in French, German, Slovak and Spanish)
Public attitudes to welfare, climate change and energy in the EU and Russia (PAWCER)
Two publications have additionally been produced through the Public attitudes to welfare, climate change and energy in the EU and Russia (PAWCER) project. Funded by ERA.net, RUS Plus, the project aimed to conduct comparative research on public attitudes to welfare, climate change and energy. PAWCER supplied the funding that allowed Russia to participate in ESS Round 8. The project has been conducted by an international research consortium led by GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences (Germany).
- Russian versus European Welfare Attitudes (also available in Russian)
- Public Perceptions on Climate Change and Energy in Europe and Russia (also available in Russian)
Country-specific ESS Topline Findings
Country-specific booklets from the ESS Topline Findings series are also available. Currently there are two issues available in the series, Policing by Consent in the UK (using Round 5 data) and Experiences and Expressions of Ageism in the UK (using Round 4 data).