Related Studies: Australian data now available
Data collected from online panel respondents in Australia during early 2020 can now be compared to European Social Survey (ESS) Round 9 (2018/19) data.
The Australian National University (ANU) replicated items from our survey in the Australian context, with data collected through its Social Research Centre’s probability-based panel, Life in Australia.
163 questions included in Round 9 of our survey were fielded on the panel between 17 February and 2 March 2020.
The resulting dataset is harmonized with the main ESS dataset to allow for comparisons between respondents in Australia and those in the 29 European countries who participated in Round 9.
This will help academics and researchers to better understand the similarities and differences between these countries.
Life in Australia - Australia's most methodologically rigorous panel - uses random probability-based sampling methods to cover both the online and offline population.
The sampling approach ensures that sampling errors and confidence intervals can be calculated.
Panel members are randomly recruited via landline or mobile phone, with willing participants providing their contact details so that they can take part in the surveys on a regular basis.
Surveys are completed using web self-completion or over the telephone.
The Related Studies section of our website includes links to data relevant to our users but not part of the official ESS data and documentation.
These studies have either replicated our questions, are developed in cooperation with the ESS, or have collected data with direct relevance to the ESS.
Further information about the Australian dataset
The Australian data is available from the Australian Data Archive
Other news articles
- 23/06/22 Round 10 data now available
- 22/06/22 New report reflects on nine rounds of data
- 13/06/22 Call for self-completion mode experts
- 09/06/22 Related Studies: Australian data now available
- 06/06/22 Call for Papers: ESS Visegrad Conference
- 31/05/22 ESS announces change to data collection methodology
- 19/05/22 The way you access our data is changing
- 16/05/22 Supporting Ukrainian research
- 26/04/22 Serbia becomes newest member of the ESS ERIC
- 05/04/22 Round 10 data coming soon
- 16/03/22 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 08/03/22 New study reveals impact of ESS data
- 04/03/22 ESS community condemns Russian attack
- 14/02/22 Call for Round 12 rotating modules
- 04/02/22 New data search and download service
- 10/01/22 Round 10 source questionnaire published
- 04/01/22 Pre-announcement: Call for rotating modules
- 13/12/21 Spain becomes 26th member of ESS ERIC
- 29/11/21 Round 10 self-completion experiment funded in UK
- 20/10/21 ESS involved in new climate change project
- 05/10/21 Round 10 fieldwork update
- 21/09/21 Virtual General Assembly meeting
- 16/09/21 Roger Jowell memorial lecture 2021
- 07/07/21 Round 9 Multilevel Data published
- 25/06/21 New report published: The timing of life events