New version of Round 9 data now available
The European Social Survey (ESS) has published the third edition of Round 9 (2018/19) data and updated the cumulative data file.
ESS9 edition 3.0 includes data for a further two participating countries - Denmark and Iceland - alongside the data already available from 27 other countries.
Published in June 2020, the second release of Round 9 data (ESS9) included data from: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Montenegro, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom
It means that the integrated ESS9 file now includes data and post-stratification weights data for 29 countries.
Additionally, our Cumulative Data Wizard has been updated: all data collected from Round 1 (2002/03) to Round 9 (2018/19) can now be downloaded in a single file, available in SPSS, STATA and CSV formats.
The Wizard allows registered users to generate and download a bespoke subset of our dataset by choosing their own selection of rounds, countries and variables.
Registered users can download data from countries that have been included in the integrated ESS files in two or more rounds, and all variables from questions that have been asked in more than one round.
A description of the selected variables is generated for each customised data file and is included in the download.
Our Round 9 dataset includes responses to over 150 questions that we include in every round of our survey, measuring attitudes and behaviour on a range of topics.
These questions focus on media consumption, institutional and social trust, democracy, government and politics, national and ethnic identity, health and wellbeing, discrimination, immigration, religion, the human values scale and a range of socio-demographic measures.
Two topics were covered in Round 9 specifically - questions were asked on the timing of life events (repeated from Round 3, 2006/07) and justice and fairness, in the context of income.
The ESS Cumulative Data Wizard is updated every two years.
For further information about this third data release, please see ESS9 version notes.
As well as this new dataset, all our survey data collected since 2002 is available to view or download for free following a simple registration.
The Round 9 dataset is available for registered users on the ESS9 - 2019 Data Download page.
The data is also available to view and analyse using our Online Analysis tool, Nesstar.
Other news articles
- 16/03/21 Findings from the Human Values Scale
- 08/03/21 Fresh opportunity to field web panel modules
- 03/03/21 Upcoming virtual General Assembly meeting
- 26/02/21 Important update on ESS Round 10 fieldwork
- 11/02/21 5,429 academic publications based on ESS data
- 28/01/21 Upcoming call for online panel questions
- 26/01/21 Round 10 core questionnaire changes
- 11/12/20 New version of Round 9 data now available
- 11/11/20 Questions selected for new online panel
- 30/10/20 Round 10 COVID-19 questions finalised
- 16/10/20 Director becomes Academy of Social Sciences Fellow
- 06/10/20 Justice and fairness analysis now available
- 24/09/20 Virtual General Assembly meeting
- 18/09/20 Justice and fairness: Topline report launch
- 14/09/20 Round 11 rotating modules selected
- 02/09/20 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2020
- 17/08/20 Call for Southern European Ambassador
- 04/08/20 Call for online panel questions now open
- 22/07/20 Coming soon: Call for online panel questions
- 06/07/20 COVID-19 questions selected for Round 10
- 15/06/20 Round 9: Second data release now available
- 08/06/20 ESS receives dataset award
- 22/05/20 Special fast call for COVID-19 questions
- 20/05/20 Extraordinary General Assembly meeting
- 04/05/20 ESS ERIC now has 25 members