Director becomes Academy of Social Sciences Fellow
The Director of the European Social Survey (ESS), Professor Rory Fitzgerald, has been appointed as a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences.
Professor Fitzgerald has been named a Fellow by the Academy of Social Sciences in the United Kingdom - a representative body formed of academics, learned societies and practitioners in the social sciences.
The Award of Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences (FAcSS) was conferred on Professor Fitzgerald for his contribution to social science, mainly through his work with the ESS.
It marks a significant milestone for Professor Fitzgerald, the ESS and the host institution for our European Research Infrastructure Consortium, City, University of London.
The Academy of Social Science’s mission is to promote social science in the United Kingdom for the public benefit, mainly through the Campaign for Social Science.
The Campaign for Social Science promotes social science research on policy issues that affect all social science disciplines and Higher Education Institutes across the United Kingdom.
Campaign activities focus on evidence-based policy briefings and reports, events and promoting the social sciences in the media.
It aims to inform and influence public policy using evidence from the social sciences and to promote the benefits of investment in social science education, research and infrastructure.
The Academy includes around 1,400 individual Fellows, 46 Learned Societies and a number of affiliates, together representing nearly 90,000 social scientists. 73 Fellows were appointed in this current round.
Fellows are distinguished scholars and practitioners from academia as well as from within the public and private sectors.
Professor Fitzgerald said: “I am delighted to have become a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences. As an academic survey practitioner, I hope the conferment highlights the close link between academic survey methods and survey practice in the field.
“I am also delighted as it highlights the role of comparative surveys such as the European Social Survey and underlines their valuable role in the social sciences.”
Other news articles
- 07/07/21 Round 9 Multilevel Data published
- 25/06/21 New report published: The timing of life events
- 10/06/21 Agreement with Japanese General Social Survey
- 03/06/21 Web panel question modules selected
- 16/03/21 Findings from the Human Values Scale
- 08/03/21 Fresh opportunity to field web panel modules
- 03/03/21 Upcoming virtual General Assembly meeting
- 26/02/21 Important update on ESS Round 10 fieldwork
- 11/02/21 5,429 academic publications based on ESS data
- 28/01/21 Upcoming call for online panel questions
- 26/01/21 Round 10 core questionnaire changes
- 11/12/20 New version of Round 9 data now available
- 11/11/20 Questions selected for new online panel
- 30/10/20 Round 10 COVID-19 questions finalised
- 16/10/20 Director becomes Academy of Social Sciences Fellow
- 06/10/20 Justice and fairness analysis now available
- 24/09/20 Virtual General Assembly meeting
- 18/09/20 Justice and fairness: Topline report launch
- 14/09/20 Round 11 rotating modules selected
- 02/09/20 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2020
- 17/08/20 Call for Southern European Ambassador
- 04/08/20 Call for online panel questions now open
- 22/07/20 Coming soon: Call for online panel questions
- 06/07/20 COVID-19 questions selected for Round 10
- 15/06/20 Round 9: Second data release now available