Round 9: Second data release now available
The second edition of data and documentation for Round 9 of the European Social Survey (ESS) has been published today (Monday 15 June 2020).
The first edition of our Round 9 dataset - published in October 2019 - included survey responses collected from 19 countries during late 2018 and 2019.
In this second edition, data and documentation for an additional eight countries has been added: Croatia, Latvia, Lithuania, Montenegro, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden.
This newest release of data and documentation also includes post-stratification weights (PSPWGHT) for all countries.
The first release of Round 9 data (ESS9) included data from: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czechia, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Serbia, Slovenia, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
With the addition of eight countries, it means that the integrated ESS9 file now includes data for 27 countries.
The data includes responses to over 150 questions we include in every round of our survey measuring attitudes and behaviour on a range of topics.
These questions focus on media consumption, institutional and social trust, democracy, government and politics, national and ethnic identity, health and wellbeing, discrimination, immigration, religion, the human values scale and a range of socio-demographic measures.
Two topics were covered in Round 9 specifically - questions were asked on the timing of life events (repeated from Round 3, 2006/07) and justice and fairness, in the context of income.
The timing of life module assesses what people think should be youngest age and oldest age of key events in life, such as marriage, having children and retirement.
Justice and fairness collected data on attitudes towards economic and educational inequalities, political and societal institutions, integrating migrants into society and ecological and social sustainability.
For further information about this second data release, please see ESS9 version notes.
As well as this new dataset, all our survey data collected since 2002 is available to view or download for free following a simple registration.
The Round 9 dataset is available for registered users on the ESS9 - 2019 Data Download page.
The data is also available to view and analyse using our Online Analysis tool, Nesstar.
Other news articles
- 26/02/21 Important update on ESS Round 10 fieldwork
- 11/02/21 5,429 academic publications based on ESS data
- 28/01/21 Upcoming call for online panel questions
- 26/01/21 Round 10 core questionnaire changes
- 11/12/20 New version of Round 9 data now available
- 11/11/20 Questions selected for new online panel
- 30/10/20 Round 10 COVID-19 questions finalised
- 16/10/20 Director becomes Academy of Social Sciences Fellow
- 06/10/20 Justice and fairness analysis now available
- 24/09/20 Virtual General Assembly meeting
- 18/09/20 Justice and fairness: Topline report launch
- 14/09/20 Round 11 rotating modules selected
- 02/09/20 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2020
- 17/08/20 Call for Southern European Ambassador
- 04/08/20 Call for online panel questions now open
- 22/07/20 Coming soon: Call for online panel questions
- 06/07/20 COVID-19 questions selected for Round 10
- 15/06/20 Round 9: Second data release now available
- 08/06/20 ESS receives dataset award
- 22/05/20 Special fast call for COVID-19 questions
- 20/05/20 Extraordinary General Assembly meeting
- 04/05/20 ESS ERIC now has 25 members
- 08/04/20 COVID-19 implications on the ESS
- 26/03/20 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 19/02/20 Analyse Round 9 Russian data