ESS receives dataset award
The European Social Survey (ESS) has been chosen as the winner of the Lijphart/Przeworski/Verba (LPV) Dataset Award 2020.
Each year, a winner for the LPV Award is chosen by the Comparative Politics Section of the American Political Science Association (APSA) for the best dataset in comparative politics.
Named after the political scientists Arend Lijphart, Adam Przeworski and Sidney Verba, the award is a significant achievement for everyone involved with the ESS.
The selection committee for the award was formed of Bryan D. Jones (Chair, University of Texas at Austin), Michael Coppedge (University of Notre Dame) and Professor Pippa Norris (Harvard University).
The Committee highlighted the quality of ESS surveys, the regularity of release, the ease of use of the ESS website and the number of important and innovative research projects that have made use of our data.
Previous winners of the LPV Award have included the Comparative Agendas Project (2019); The Quality of Government Dataset (2009) and Comparative Study of Electoral Systems (2000).
Launched in 1999, the LPV Award is usually formally presented at the annual Business Meeting of the Comparative Politics Section at the Annual Meeting of APSA.
Professor Rory Fitzgerald, Director of ESS ERIC, welcomed the award and said:
“The European Social Survey is delighted to win this award in recognition of the high quality and utility of ESS datasets. It is wonderful to see the ESS recognised by political scientists who are a key user group for the survey.”
Other news articles
- 06/07/20 COVID-19 questions selected for Round 10
- 15/06/20 Round 9: Second data release now available
- 08/06/20 ESS receives dataset award
- 22/05/20 Special fast call for COVID-19 questions
- 20/05/20 Extraordinary General Assembly meeting
- 04/05/20 ESS ERIC now has 25 members
- 08/04/20 COVID-19 implications on the ESS
- 26/03/20 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 19/02/20 Analyse Round 9 Russian data
- 30/01/20 Developing a global online panel
- 06/01/20 ESS awarded major Horizon 2020 grant
- 26/11/19 New experts appointed to advisory boards
- 31/10/19 Round 9 data now available
- 31/10/19 New data from the European Social Survey (ESS)
- 14/10/19 Exploring public attitudes, informing public policy
- 25/09/19 Your chance to field questions in our survey
- 19/09/19 Social science event at the European Commission
- 04/09/19 Global partnerships revealed
- 02/09/19 General Assembly meeting next month
- 28/08/19 Online consultation launched
- 25/07/19 Round 8 quality matrix now available
- 24/06/19 Pre-announcement: Call for rotating modules
- 20/05/19 Contextual information for Round 8 now available
- 10/05/19 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2019
- 12/04/19 Measures to prevent data falsification