ESS receives dataset award
The European Social Survey (ESS) has been chosen as the winner of the Lijphart/Przeworski/Verba (LPV) Dataset Award 2020.
Each year, a winner for the LPV Award is chosen by the Comparative Politics Section of the American Political Science Association (APSA) for the best dataset in comparative politics.
Named after the political scientists Arend Lijphart, Adam Przeworski and Sidney Verba, the award is a significant achievement for everyone involved with the ESS.
The selection committee for the award was formed of Bryan D. Jones (Chair, University of Texas at Austin), Michael Coppedge (University of Notre Dame) and Professor Pippa Norris (Harvard University).
The Committee highlighted the quality of ESS surveys, the regularity of release, the ease of use of the ESS website and the number of important and innovative research projects that have made use of our data.
Previous winners of the LPV Award have included the Comparative Agendas Project (2019); The Quality of Government Dataset (2009) and Comparative Study of Electoral Systems (2000).
Launched in 1999, the LPV Award is usually formally presented at the annual Business Meeting of the Comparative Politics Section at the Annual Meeting of APSA.
Professor Rory Fitzgerald, Director of ESS ERIC, welcomed the award and said:
“The European Social Survey is delighted to win this award in recognition of the high quality and utility of ESS datasets. It is wonderful to see the ESS recognised by political scientists who are a key user group for the survey.”
Other news articles
- 10/06/21 Agreement with Japanese General Social Survey
- 03/06/21 Web panel question modules selected
- 16/03/21 Findings from the Human Values Scale
- 08/03/21 Fresh opportunity to field web panel modules
- 03/03/21 Upcoming virtual General Assembly meeting
- 26/02/21 Important update on ESS Round 10 fieldwork
- 11/02/21 5,429 academic publications based on ESS data
- 28/01/21 Upcoming call for online panel questions
- 26/01/21 Round 10 core questionnaire changes
- 11/12/20 New version of Round 9 data now available
- 11/11/20 Questions selected for new online panel
- 30/10/20 Round 10 COVID-19 questions finalised
- 16/10/20 Director becomes Academy of Social Sciences Fellow
- 06/10/20 Justice and fairness analysis now available
- 24/09/20 Virtual General Assembly meeting
- 18/09/20 Justice and fairness: Topline report launch
- 14/09/20 Round 11 rotating modules selected
- 02/09/20 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2020
- 17/08/20 Call for Southern European Ambassador
- 04/08/20 Call for online panel questions now open
- 22/07/20 Coming soon: Call for online panel questions
- 06/07/20 COVID-19 questions selected for Round 10
- 15/06/20 Round 9: Second data release now available
- 08/06/20 ESS receives dataset award
- 22/05/20 Special fast call for COVID-19 questions