Round 9 data now available
The first edition of European Social Survey (ESS) Round 9 data - collected in 19 countries during late 2018 and early 2019 - has been published today (31 October 2019).
Data included in this release was collected in: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czechia, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Serbia, Slovenia, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
The release also includes data from a questionnaire of interviewers and test data (multitrait-multimethod) in all 19 countries.
In Round 9 of our survey, questions were fielded on the timing of life events (repeated from Round 3, 2006/07) and justice and fairness, in the context of respondents’ income.
The Timing of Life questions aim to understand the views of respondents about the organisation of their lifetime and strategies to plan their own lives.
It provides data on what people think should be youngest age and oldest age of key events in life, such as marriage, having children and planning for retirement.
Justice and Fairness provides survey data for the first time on how people feel that they are coping with increasing economic and educational inequalities.
It also included questions about building widely accepted political and societal institutions, integrating migrants into society and ensuring ecological and social sustainability.
The main questionnaire includes over 150 survey items, including a question on how people would vote in a referendum on EU membership that was included in Round 8 for the first time and has now been repeated.
It also includes regular ESS questions on: media and social trust, politics, subjective well-being, social exclusion, religion, national and ethnic identity, the human values scale and a wide range of socio-demographic measures.
It is the highest number of countries that have been included in one of our first releases since the first set of Round 6 (2012/13) data was published in October 2013.
Please note that post stratification weights will only be made available alongside the second data release.
Other news articles
- 21/09/21 Virtual General Assembly meeting
- 16/09/21 Roger Jowell memorial lecture 2021
- 07/07/21 Round 9 Multilevel Data published
- 25/06/21 New report published: The timing of life events
- 10/06/21 Agreement with Japanese General Social Survey
- 03/06/21 Web panel question modules selected
- 16/03/21 Findings from the Human Values Scale
- 08/03/21 Fresh opportunity to field web panel modules
- 03/03/21 Upcoming virtual General Assembly meeting
- 26/02/21 Important update on ESS Round 10 fieldwork
- 11/02/21 5,429 academic publications based on ESS data
- 28/01/21 Upcoming call for online panel questions
- 26/01/21 Round 10 core questionnaire changes
- 11/12/20 New version of Round 9 data now available
- 11/11/20 Questions selected for new online panel
- 30/10/20 Round 10 COVID-19 questions finalised
- 16/10/20 Director becomes Academy of Social Sciences Fellow
- 06/10/20 Justice and fairness analysis now available
- 24/09/20 Virtual General Assembly meeting
- 18/09/20 Justice and fairness: Topline report launch
- 14/09/20 Round 11 rotating modules selected
- 02/09/20 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2020
- 17/08/20 Call for Southern European Ambassador
- 04/08/20 Call for online panel questions now open
- 22/07/20 Coming soon: Call for online panel questions