Contextual information for Round 8 now available
The European Social Survey (ESS) Multilevel Data resource now includes contextual information to supplement our Round 8 data.
It means that researchers have the ability to download externally collected data about countries and regions alongside ESS survey data.
Contextual data on crime, demography, the economy, education, health, immigration and political institutions are included, as well as composite measures.
Further data is supplied by Bertelsmann Stiftung, the CIRI Human Rights Project, Database of Political Institutions (World Bank), Democracy Barometer, Freedom House, Comparative Political Data Set and Transparency International.
These contextual variables have therefore now been added to our Round 8 (2016/17) dataset through the Multilevel Data resource.
Since Round 4 (2008/09) of our survey, similar contextual data is available, and can be downloaded with previous datasets.
Migrant Integration Policy Index (MIPEX) data was also included in the Multilevel Data resource to accompany our immigration data collected in Round 7 (2014/15).
The resource contains data about a) individuals (ESS respondents) b) regions and c) countries. It is designed to facilitate the task of adding external data on countries and regions to ESS data.
All our survey data can be downloaded alongside the externally collected contextual data in SPSS, Stata and SAS formats.
The data can also be viewed using our Online Analysis Tool, Nesstar.
Our Multilevel Data tool was partly funded by the Descartes Research Prize awarded to the ESS in 2005.
Other news articles
- 06/07/20 COVID-19 questions selected for Round 10
- 15/06/20 Round 9: Second data release now available
- 08/06/20 ESS receives dataset award
- 22/05/20 Special fast call for COVID-19 questions
- 20/05/20 Extraordinary General Assembly meeting
- 04/05/20 ESS ERIC now has 25 members
- 08/04/20 COVID-19 implications on the ESS
- 26/03/20 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 19/02/20 Analyse Round 9 Russian data
- 30/01/20 Developing a global online panel
- 06/01/20 ESS awarded major Horizon 2020 grant
- 26/11/19 New experts appointed to advisory boards
- 31/10/19 Round 9 data now available
- 31/10/19 New data from the European Social Survey (ESS)
- 14/10/19 Exploring public attitudes, informing public policy
- 25/09/19 Your chance to field questions in our survey
- 19/09/19 Social science event at the European Commission
- 04/09/19 Global partnerships revealed
- 02/09/19 General Assembly meeting next month
- 28/08/19 Online consultation launched
- 25/07/19 Round 8 quality matrix now available
- 24/06/19 Pre-announcement: Call for rotating modules
- 20/05/19 Contextual information for Round 8 now available
- 10/05/19 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2019
- 12/04/19 Measures to prevent data falsification