Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2019
The causes and consequences of social inequalities in education will be discussed at the Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2019 from 6pm on Thursday 13 June.
Organised alongside NatCen Social Research and the Social Research Association, the lecture - An uneven playing field: The causes and consequences of social inequalities in education - will be held at City, University of London.
Professor Goodman will discuss research on inequalities, showing how longitudinal data is being used to understand both the causes and consequences of educational disadvantage in the UK.
She will present findings on the current social inequalities in education and show some of the longer-term effects of educational inequalities.
Speaking to the policy implications of educational disadvantage, Rt Hon Laws will present findings from the Education Policy Institutes' research on the evolution of the disadvantage gap over the last decade.
He will examine what the evidence suggests may be behind inequalities, where focus should be given to narrow disadvantages and what the political context is.
Sir Roger Jowell, CBE (26 March 1942 - 25 December 2011), was an outstanding British social statistician and academic.
He founded Social and Community Planning Research (SCPR) - now NatCen Social Research - and the European Social Survey.
Sir Roger also made a major contribution to the development of robust comparative research through the International Social Survey Programme.
Since 2014, an annual memorial lecture has been held in honour of Sir Roger.
Other news articles
- 20/05/19 Contextual information for Round 8 now available
- 10/05/19 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2019
- 12/04/19 Measures to prevent data falsification
- 11/03/19 New Horizon 2020 project begins
- 19/02/19 Director visits University of Western Australia
- 23/01/19 Jowell-Kaase Prize winner revealed
- 15/01/19 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 17/12/18 Cumulative Data File updated
- 29/11/18 Russian attitudes on climate change and energy explored
- 27/11/18 New report examines Russian attitudes on welfare
- 20/11/18 Registration opens for ESS Conference 2019
- 24/10/18 ESS ERIC General Assembly meeting
- 02/10/18 Europeans accept climate change is happening
- 17/09/18 Europeans receptive to new welfare policy ideas
- 02/08/18 Upcoming events in Brussels
- 11/07/18 Exploring democracy and digital communication
- 02/07/18 ESS Conference: Call for Papers now open
- 19/06/18 Details of Jowell-Kaase Prize announced
- 30/05/18 Round 8: second edition of data released
- 16/05/18 CROss-National Online Survey Panel data now available
- 30/04/18 General Assembly meeting in May
- 23/04/18 Strengthening links between the ESS and Australia
- 09/04/18 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2018
- 29/03/18 Details of ESS conference announced
- 05/03/18 First Spanish Congress announced