Round 8: second edition of data released
We are pleased to announce that the second edition of data and documentation for European Social Survey (ESS) Round 8 was published today (Wednesday 30 May 2018).
In this second edition, data and documentation for an additional five countries are included: Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Portugal and Spain.
Published in October 2017, the first release of data for Round 8 (ESS8) included survey responses from 18 countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Norway, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
It means that the integrated ESS8 file now includes data for 23 countries.
The second edition of data and documentation also includes post-stratification weights (PSPWGHT) for all countries.
In addition to the main data file, new editions of contact form data, interviewer data, test data (MTMM) and media claims data are all now available.
Round 8 of the survey asked a number of questions included in every round since 2002 and specific items measuring attitudes to climate change and energy for the first time. Questions about welfare were included as part of a rotating module that was first included in Round 4 of the survey, fielded in 2008.
For further information about this second data release, please see ESS8 version notes.
As well as this new dataset, all our survey data collected in 36 countries since 2002 is available to view or download for free following a simple registration.
The Round 8 data are available for registered users on the ESS8 - 2016 Data Download page.
The data is also available to view and analyse using our Online Analysis tool, Nesstar.
Other news articles
- 22/05/20 Special fast call for COVID-19 questions
- 20/05/20 Extraordinary General Assembly meeting
- 04/05/20 ESS ERIC now has 25 members
- 08/04/20 COVID-19 implications on the ESS
- 26/03/20 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 19/02/20 Analyse Round 9 Russian data
- 30/01/20 Developing a global online panel
- 06/01/20 ESS awarded major Horizon 2020 grant
- 26/11/19 New experts appointed to advisory boards
- 31/10/19 Round 9 data now available
- 14/10/19 Exploring public attitudes, informing public policy
- 25/09/19 Your chance to field questions in our survey
- 19/09/19 Social science event at the European Commission
- 04/09/19 Global partnerships revealed
- 02/09/19 General Assembly meeting next month
- 28/08/19 Online consultation launched
- 25/07/19 Round 8 quality matrix now available
- 24/06/19 Pre-announcement: Call for rotating modules
- 20/05/19 Contextual information for Round 8 now available
- 10/05/19 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2019
- 12/04/19 Measures to prevent data falsification
- 11/03/19 New Horizon 2020 project begins
- 19/02/19 Director visits University of Western Australia
- 23/01/19 Jowell-Kaase Prize winner revealed
- 15/01/19 Upcoming General Assembly meeting