Round 8: second edition of data released
We are pleased to announce that the second edition of data and documentation for European Social Survey (ESS) Round 8 was published today (Wednesday 30 May 2018).
In this second edition, data and documentation for an additional five countries are included: Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Portugal and Spain.
Published in October 2017, the first release of data for Round 8 (ESS8) included survey responses from 18 countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Norway, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
It means that the integrated ESS8 file now includes data for 23 countries.
The second edition of data and documentation also includes post-stratification weights (PSPWGHT) for all countries.
In addition to the main data file, new editions of contact form data, interviewer data, test data (MTMM) and media claims data are all now available.
Round 8 of the survey asked a number of questions included in every round since 2002 and specific items measuring attitudes to climate change and energy for the first time. Questions about welfare were included as part of a rotating module that was first included in Round 4 of the survey, fielded in 2008.
For further information about this second data release, please see ESS8 version notes.
As well as this new dataset, all our survey data collected in 36 countries since 2002 is available to view or download for free following a simple registration.
The Round 8 data are available for registered users on the ESS8 - 2016 Data Download page.
The data is also available to view and analyse using our Online Analysis tool, Nesstar.
Other news articles
- 23/01/19 Jowell-Kaase Prize winner revealed
- 15/01/19 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 17/12/18 Cumulative Data File updated
- 29/11/18 Russian attitudes on climate change and energy explored
- 27/11/18 New report examines Russian attitudes on welfare
- 20/11/18 Registration opens for ESS Conference 2019
- 24/10/18 ESS ERIC General Assembly meeting
- 02/10/18 Europeans accept climate change is happening
- 17/09/18 Europeans receptive to new welfare policy ideas
- 02/08/18 Upcoming events in Brussels
- 11/07/18 Exploring democracy and digital communication
- 02/07/18 ESS Conference: Call for Papers now open
- 19/06/18 Details of Jowell-Kaase Prize announced
- 30/05/18 Round 8: second edition of data released
- 16/05/18 CROss-National Online Survey Panel data now available
- 30/04/18 General Assembly meeting in May
- 23/04/18 Strengthening links between the ESS and Australia
- 09/04/18 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2018
- 29/03/18 Details of ESS conference announced
- 05/03/18 First Spanish Congress announced
- 01/02/18 European Social Survey part of new project
- 29/01/18 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 19/01/18 Call for Ethics Committee members
- 27/11/17 European Social Survey has high impact
- 31/10/17 Round 8 data now available