Round 8: second edition of data released
We are pleased to announce that the second edition of data and documentation for European Social Survey (ESS) Round 8 was published today (Wednesday 30 May 2018).
In this second edition, data and documentation for an additional five countries are included: Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Portugal and Spain.
Published in October 2017, the first release of data for Round 8 (ESS8) included survey responses from 18 countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Norway, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
It means that the integrated ESS8 file now includes data for 23 countries.
The second edition of data and documentation also includes post-stratification weights (PSPWGHT) for all countries.
In addition to the main data file, new editions of contact form data, interviewer data, test data (MTMM) and media claims data are all now available.
Round 8 of the survey asked a number of questions included in every round since 2002 and specific items measuring attitudes to climate change and energy for the first time. Questions about welfare were included as part of a rotating module that was first included in Round 4 of the survey, fielded in 2008.
For further information about this second data release, please see ESS8 version notes.
As well as this new dataset, all our survey data collected in 36 countries since 2002 is available to view or download for free following a simple registration.
The Round 8 data are available for registered users on the ESS8 - 2016 Data Download page.
The data is also available to view and analyse using our Online Analysis tool, Nesstar.
Other news articles
- 13/03/23 Call for Papers: Digital social contacts
- 27/02/23 Comparing Australian and European attitudes
- 22/02/23 General Assembly meeting in March
- 09/02/23 Agreement with Korean General Social Survey
- 11/01/23 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 04/01/23 Round 12 rotating modules selected
- 16/12/22 SSH Open Cluster announces new chair
- 09/12/22 Second release of Round 10 data now available
- 17/11/22 Join us at ESRA 2023
- 14/11/22 Mode switch advisers appointed
- 03/10/22 Call for papers: Time-series analysis
- 26/09/22 Call for policy consultant
- 21/09/22 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2022
- 15/09/22 General Assembly meeting next month
- 01/08/22 Electronic Questionnaire Device
- 21/07/22 Call for papers: Online youth event
- 23/06/22 Round 10 data now available
- 22/06/22 New report reflects on nine rounds of data
- 13/06/22 Call for self-completion mode experts
- 09/06/22 Related Studies: Australian data now available
- 06/06/22 Call for papers: ESS Visegrad Conference
- 31/05/22 ESS announces change to data collection methodology
- 19/05/22 The way you access our data is changing
- 16/05/22 Supporting Ukrainian research
- 26/04/22 Serbia becomes newest member of the ESS ERIC