Structure and Governance
General Assembly, Boards and Committees
The Commission Implementing Decision setting up the ESS as an ERIC was published on 30 November 2013.
The activities of the ESS ERIC are detailed in its Annual Activity Reports. The Annual Activity Report 2017-2018 is available.
Members of the General Assembly are represented by a National Representative. The Chair of the General Assembly is Professor Michael Breen, Mary Immaculate College, University of Limerick, Ireland. The Deputy Chair is Professor Algis Krupavičius, Vytautas Magnus University, Kaunas, Lithuania.
The General Assembly has three standing committees: a Scientific Advisory Board, a Methods Advisory Board and a Finance Committee. More information on their activity and membership can be found below.
Director and Committees of the Director
Prior to October 2003, the ESS was hosted by the National Centre for Social Research, whose generous support and development made the project possible.
The current complement of staff at ESS ERIC HQ is:
- Professor Rory Fitzgerald (Director, ESS ERIC), Dr. Eric Harrison (Deputy Director, ESS ERIC), Dr. Gianmaria Bottoni, Esther Bourne, Niccolò Ghirelli, Mary Keane, Jennifer McGuiness, Dr. Lorna Ryan, Luca Salini, Dr. Elissa Sibley and Stefan Swift
The Director, Professor Rory Fitzgerald, is supported in the design and implementation of the ESS ERIC Work Programme by the Core Scientific Team (CST), comprising seven institutions. These are:
- City, University of London (UK)
- GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences (Germany)
- NSD - Norwegian Centre for Research Data (Norway)
- SCP - The Netherlands Institute for Social Research (Netherlands)
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Spain)
- University of Essex (UK)
- University of Ljubljana (Slovenia)
Deputy Directors are in post in two institutions:
- Deputy Director: Dr. Eric Harrison, ESS ERIC HQ, City, University of London
- Deputy Director - External: Dr. Angelika Scheuer, GESIS
More information on the membership of the CST can be found below.
The Director also convenes a National Coordinators’ Forum, attended by the National Coordinators appointed by ESS ERIC Members, Observers and Guests. More information on the National Coordinators can be found below.