Agreement with Japanese General Social Survey
The European Social Survey (ESS) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Japanese General Social Survey (JGSS).
The formal agreement covers a period of four years, until May 2025, and represents a closer working relationship between the two surveys.
As part of the MoU, both surveys will look for opportunities to replicate survey questions, allowing for comparisons between respondents in Japan and Europe.
Over the four-year period, two JGSS researchers will be hosted by the ESS with a view to build capacity, and the JGSS will be invited to send a representative to our meeting of all national teams.
The two surveys will also share details about their methodological approaches of implementing the surveys to help improve the quality of survey data in future.
The JGSS Research Center was established at Osaka University of Commerce in 1998 and was accredited by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology as a Joint Usage/Research Center in October 2008.
The JGSS conducts nationally representative surveys almost every two years and shares some modules of questions with East Asian Social Surveys (EASS).
This is the third formal agreement that the ESS now has in place with large-scale surveys that are implemented in countries outside of Europe.
In September 2019, it was revealed that MoUs had been signed with the Australian National University - which implements Life in Australia - and the Human Sciences Research Council, responsible for the South African Social Attitudes Survey (SASAS).
Professor Rory Fitzgerald, Director of the ESS ERIC, said: “I warmly welcome the opportunity to work more closely with social scientists in Japan.
“The Japanese General Social Survey is based on high methodological standards and is therefore a wonderful global partner for the European Social Survey.”
Noriko Iwai, Director of the Japanese General Social Survey, added: “We are delighted to have the opportunity to collaborate with ESS ERIC, which is a leader in the field of survey research.
“We hope our partnership will promote cross-national comparative research between European countries and Japan.”
Other news articles
- 16/05/22 Supporting Ukrainian research
- 26/04/22 Serbia becomes newest member of the ESS ERIC
- 05/04/22 Round 10 data coming soon
- 16/03/22 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 08/03/22 New study reveals impact of ESS data
- 04/03/22 ESS community condemns Russian attack
- 14/02/22 Call for Round 12 rotating modules
- 04/02/22 New data search and download service
- 10/01/22 Round 10 source questionnaire published
- 04/01/22 Pre-announcement: Call for rotating modules
- 13/12/21 Spain becomes 26th member of ESS ERIC
- 29/11/21 Round 10 self-completion experiment funded in UK
- 20/10/21 ESS involved in new climate change project
- 05/10/21 Round 10 fieldwork update
- 21/09/21 Virtual General Assembly meeting
- 16/09/21 Roger Jowell memorial lecture 2021
- 07/07/21 Round 9 Multilevel Data published
- 25/06/21 New report published: The timing of life events
- 10/06/21 Agreement with Japanese General Social Survey
- 03/06/21 Web panel question modules selected
- 16/03/21 Findings from the Human Values Scale
- 08/03/21 Fresh opportunity to field web panel modules
- 03/03/21 Upcoming virtual General Assembly meeting
- 26/02/21 Important update on ESS Round 10 fieldwork
- 11/02/21 5,429 academic publications based on ESS data