Round 8: second edition of data released
We are pleased to announce that the second edition of data and documentation for European Social Survey (ESS) Round 8 was published today (Wednesday 30 May 2018).
In this second edition, data and documentation for an additional five countries are included: Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Portugal and Spain.
Published in October 2017, the first release of data for Round 8 (ESS8) included survey responses from 18 countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Norway, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.
It means that the integrated ESS8 file now includes data for 23 countries.
The second edition of data and documentation also includes post-stratification weights (PSPWGHT) for all countries.
In addition to the main data file, new editions of contact form data, interviewer data, test data (MTMM) and media claims data are all now available.
Round 8 of the survey asked a number of questions included in every round since 2002 and specific items measuring attitudes to climate change and energy for the first time. Questions about welfare were included as part of a rotating module that was first included in Round 4 of the survey, fielded in 2008.
For further information about this second data release, please see ESS8 version notes.
As well as this new dataset, all our survey data collected in 36 countries since 2002 is available to view or download for free following a simple registration.
The Round 8 data are available for registered users on the ESS8 - 2016 Data Download page.
The data is also available to view and analyse using our Online Analysis tool, Nesstar.
Other news articles
- 21/09/21 Virtual General Assembly meeting
- 16/09/21 Roger Jowell memorial lecture 2021
- 07/07/21 Round 9 Multilevel Data published
- 25/06/21 New report published: The timing of life events
- 10/06/21 Agreement with Japanese General Social Survey
- 03/06/21 Web panel question modules selected
- 16/03/21 Findings from the Human Values Scale
- 08/03/21 Fresh opportunity to field web panel modules
- 03/03/21 Upcoming virtual General Assembly meeting
- 26/02/21 Important update on ESS Round 10 fieldwork
- 11/02/21 5,429 academic publications based on ESS data
- 28/01/21 Upcoming call for online panel questions
- 26/01/21 Round 10 core questionnaire changes
- 11/12/20 New version of Round 9 data now available
- 11/11/20 Questions selected for new online panel
- 30/10/20 Round 10 COVID-19 questions finalised
- 16/10/20 Director becomes Academy of Social Sciences Fellow
- 06/10/20 Justice and fairness analysis now available
- 24/09/20 Virtual General Assembly meeting
- 18/09/20 Justice and fairness: Topline report launch
- 14/09/20 Round 11 rotating modules selected
- 02/09/20 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2020
- 17/08/20 Call for Southern European Ambassador
- 04/08/20 Call for online panel questions now open
- 22/07/20 Coming soon: Call for online panel questions