Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2018
The fifth annual lecture in honour of European Social Survey co-founder, Sir Roger Jowell, will be held at the British Academy in London on Monday 21 May 2018.
Professor Jane Green of the University of Manchester will discuss her research into the 2015 and 2017 British elections at this year’s free lecture.
Jane Green is Professor of Political Science in the Cathy Marsh Institute for Social Research and the Politics Department in Manchester, and provides election analysis for ITV News.
Professor Green belongs to the Scientific Leadership Team of the British Election Study (BES), and is co-author of the forthcoming BES volume on the 2015 and 2017 elections.
Sir Roger Jowell played a leading role in the establishment of several of the UK's leading social surveys, most famously British Social Attitudes and the British Election Study.
The chair of this year’s free event will be Executive Chair Designate of the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), Jennifer Rubin.
Green’s work with the British Election Study includes research into why British elections are becoming more volatile and how major shocks such as the global financial crisis are having long-term effects on elections and electoral choice.
Green is also investigating how perceived economic gains by different groups in British society have influenced support for Brexit and how political party campaigns shape perceptions about the levels of immigration.
Professor Green will become the fifth leading social scientist to deliver the Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture.
Previous speakers have included Sir Andrew Dilnot (Social statistics and public policy); Professor John Curtice (Scottish independence referendum); Professor Anne Johnson (National Surveys of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles) and Professor Anand Menon (UK in a changing Europe).
Sir Roger Jowell, CBE (26 March 1942 - 25 December 2011), was an outstanding British social statistician and academic.
He founded Social and Community Planning Research (SCPR) - now NatCen Social Research - and the Centre for Comparative Surveys at City, University of London.
Sir Roger also made a major contribution to the development of robust comparative research through the International Social Survey Programme and the European Social Survey.
Other news articles
- 11/07/18 Exploring democracy and digital communication
- 02/07/18 ESS Conference: Call for Papers now open
- 19/06/18 Details of Jowell-Kaase Prize announced
- 30/05/18 Round 8: second edition of data released
- 16/05/18 CROss-National Online Survey Panel data now available
- 30/04/18 General Assembly meeting in May
- 23/04/18 Strengthening links between the ESS and Australia
- 09/04/18 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2018
- 29/03/18 Details of ESS conference announced
- 05/03/18 First Spanish Congress announced
- 01/02/18 European Social Survey part of new project
- 29/01/18 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 19/01/18 Call for Ethics Committee members
- 27/11/17 European Social Survey has high impact
- 31/10/17 Round 8 data now available
- 25/10/17 The future of welfare: Basic income?
- 05/10/17 Call for Round 10 Question Module Design Teams
- 03/10/17 Invitation to tender: Report on measuring the media
- 25/09/17 Global Links workshop
- 22/09/17 October General Assembly meeting
- 30/08/17 Pre-announcement: Call for Question Design Teams
- 14/07/17 Looking ahead to ESRA 2017
- 04/07/17 Multilevel Data updated
- 22/06/17 Immigration event held in European Parliament
- 13/06/17 Round 9 Survey Specification published