Round 9 Survey Specification published
Following the first official day of the ESS Round 9 biennial period (1 June 2017), the European Social Survey (ESS) has now published the latest Survey Specifications.
The ‘Survey Specification for ESS ERIC Member, Observer and Guest Countries’ for Round 9 (2018) outline the tasks and responsibilities required to conduct the international survey.
Notable additions to the specifications for this round include improved fieldwork monitoring through the introduction of computer-assisted personal interviewing (CAPI) in all countries and details of how to comply with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
These tasks and responsibilities will be undertaken by the coordinating team and by any survey agency appointed in each participating country.
The specifications are adapted before each new round of the survey and list all activities that should be undertaken with a timetable for implementation.
The aim of the specifications is to ensure that high quality data are collected in a comparable way in each participating country.
Data collected should represent both the populations of the participating countries and the concepts under study. The four key elements in the specifications with regard to the survey itself are:
- Preparing the national questionnaire, including translation;
- Preparing the data collection, including sampling;
- Conducting the data collection, including the collection of process data;
- Data processing and data delivery.
Round 9 fieldwork is due to be undertaken at the end of 2018.
Photo: Arthimedes / Shutterstock.com
Other news articles
- 05/10/17 Call for Round 10 Question Module Design Teams
- 03/10/17 Invitation to tender: Report on measuring the media
- 25/09/17 Global Links workshop
- 22/09/17 October General Assembly meeting
- 30/08/17 Pre-announcement: Call for Question Design Teams
- 14/07/17 Looking ahead to ESRA 2017
- 04/07/17 Multilevel Data updated
- 22/06/17 Immigration event held in European Parliament
- 13/06/17 Round 9 Survey Specification published
- 10/05/17 European Social Survey to visit Albania
- 06/04/17 General Assembly meeting in April
- 27/03/17 Madrid to host latest event
- 24/03/17 ESS presents at European conferences
- 13/03/17 Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2017
- 02/03/17 European Journal of Public Health feature
- 28/02/17 Health results presented to European Commission
- 08/02/17 24 countries participating in latest survey
- 01/02/17 Registered users urged to complete survey
- 25/01/17 Data from South African survey now available
- 11/01/17 New paper explores measure of socio-cultural origins
- 05/01/17 ESS User Community reaches 100,000
- 08/12/16 ESS1-7 Cumulative file released
- 28/11/16 Croatia to host latest ESS conference
- 15/11/16 Europeans becoming more divided over immigration
- 31/10/16 Funding available for academics