European Social Survey to visit Albania
A free workshop focusing on Albanian participation in the European Social Survey (ESS) will take place in the Faculty for the Social Sciences at the University of Tirana on 19 May 2017.
Leading Albanian scholars and other European researchers will discuss the academic and policy benefits that arose following Albanian participation in Round 6 (2012/13) of the international survey.
Presenters will showcase their results from research undertaken using ESS data. The event will also include a discussion about the opportunities available for Albania to re-join the project.
Confirmed speakers include ESS Director, Dr. Rory Fitzgerald, and a member of the Questionnaire Design Team for the Round 6 democracy module, Dr. Monica Ferrin.
A European Social Survey report - Europeans' Understandings and Evaluations of Democracy - authored by Mónica Ferrin and Hanspeter Kriesi, has been specially translated into Albanian to be distributed at the event.
It found that, of the 29 countries that took part in Round 6 (2012/13), Albanians are 8th most likely to value the importance of democracy. In Albania, the mean score was 9.3/10 (on a 0-10 scale).
At the event, Round 6 ESS National Coordinator for Albania, Alban Nelaj, will be joined by Dean and Vice Dean of the Faculty for the Social Sciences, University of Tirana, Professor Edmond Rapti and Dr. Blendi Çeka. Dr. Klejdi Këlliçi and Dr. Ervin Kaçiu (University of Tirana) will also present.
The event is open to policy makers, academics, researchers, students and members of the public. To book a place, simply email the ESS.
ESS Director, Dr. Rory Fitzgerald, said: “We are really looking forward to visiting the University of Tirana to hear some of the analysis of our data, particularly by Albanian academics.
“It is disappointing that Albania has only been able to participate in one round of the ESS but we are sure that the data gathered has still led to some interesting research and observations. To include Albania in future rounds would enhance and develop this research even further.”
Photo: Matej Kastelic/Shutterstock.com
Other news articles
- 19/06/18 Details of Jowell-Kaase Prize announced
- 30/05/18 Round 8: second edition of data released
- 16/05/18 CROss-National Online Survey Panel data now available
- 30/04/18 General Assembly meeting in May
- 23/04/18 Strengthening links between the ESS and Australia
- 09/04/18 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2018
- 29/03/18 Details of ESS conference announced
- 05/03/18 First Spanish Congress announced
- 01/02/18 European Social Survey part of new project
- 29/01/18 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 19/01/18 Call for Ethics Committee members
- 27/11/17 European Social Survey has high impact
- 31/10/17 Round 8 data now available
- 25/10/17 The future of welfare: Basic income?
- 05/10/17 Call for Round 10 Question Module Design Teams
- 03/10/17 Invitation to tender: Report on measuring the media
- 25/09/17 Global Links workshop
- 22/09/17 October General Assembly meeting
- 30/08/17 Pre-announcement: Call for Question Design Teams
- 14/07/17 Looking ahead to ESRA 2017
- 04/07/17 Multilevel Data updated
- 22/06/17 Immigration event held in European Parliament
- 13/06/17 Round 9 Survey Specification published
- 10/05/17 European Social Survey to visit Albania
- 06/04/17 General Assembly meeting in April