Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2017
Details about the fourth annual lecture being held in memory of co-founder of the ESS, Professor Sir Roger Jowell CBE, have been announced.
Professor Anand Menon, Director of the ESRC funded UK in a Changing Europe initiative - based at King's College London - will deliver this year’s lecture.
Menon will speak about what the vote for ‘Brexit’ means for the UK and its relationship with the European countries who remain a part of the union.
The free event is open to everyone and will be held at the British Academy in London, UK, on Tuesday 30 May from 6pm. Advanced registration is essential.
Menon is Professor of European Politics and Foreign Affairs at Kings College London having previously been Director of the European Research Institute at the University of Birmingham.
He has held positions at University of Oxford (St. Antony’s College), Sciences Po, Columbia University and New York University.
Roger Jowell sadly passed away on Christmas Day 2011. Roger was co-founder of the European Social Survey (ESS) with Max Kaase.
Roger made a major contribution to the development of reliable comparative survey data through both the ESS and the International Social Survey Programme (ISSP).
Roger played a leading role in the establishment of some of the UK's leading social surveys, notably British Social Attitudes and the British Elections Study.
He also founded Social and Community Planning Research (SCPR) - now NatCen Social Research - and, in 2008, became Deputy Chair of the board of the UK Statistics Authority.
The event will be chaired by Professor Sara Hobolt, Sutherland Chair in European Institutions at the London School of Economics (LSE).
City, University of London (where the ESS headquarters are based), The Social Research Association, NatCen Social Research and the British Academy are organising this fourth annual memorial lecture in recognition of the outstanding contribution that Sir Roger made to the social sciences.
Dr. Rory Fitzgerald, Director of the ESS, said: “Roger cared passionately about Europe and therefore at this time of great change it is timely that his memorial lecture covers this critical issue. I am therefore delighted that Professor Menon has agreed to give this year’s lecture.”
Other news articles
- 29/11/18 Russian attitudes on climate change and energy explored
- 27/11/18 New report examines Russian attitudes on welfare
- 20/11/18 Registration opens for ESS Conference 2019
- 24/10/18 ESS ERIC General Assembly meeting
- 02/10/18 Europeans accept climate change is happening
- 17/09/18 Europeans receptive to new welfare policy ideas
- 02/08/18 Upcoming events in Brussels
- 11/07/18 Exploring democracy and digital communication
- 02/07/18 ESS Conference: Call for Papers now open
- 19/06/18 Details of Jowell-Kaase Prize announced
- 30/05/18 Round 8: second edition of data released
- 16/05/18 CROss-National Online Survey Panel data now available
- 30/04/18 General Assembly meeting in May
- 23/04/18 Strengthening links between the ESS and Australia
- 09/04/18 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2018
- 29/03/18 Details of ESS conference announced
- 05/03/18 First Spanish Congress announced
- 01/02/18 European Social Survey part of new project
- 29/01/18 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 19/01/18 Call for Ethics Committee members
- 27/11/17 European Social Survey has high impact
- 31/10/17 Round 8 data now available
- 25/10/17 The future of welfare: Basic income?
- 05/10/17 Call for Round 10 Question Module Design Teams
- 03/10/17 Invitation to tender: Report on measuring the media