Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2017
Details about the fourth annual lecture being held in memory of co-founder of the ESS, Professor Sir Roger Jowell CBE, have been announced.
Professor Anand Menon, Director of the ESRC funded UK in a Changing Europe initiative - based at King's College London - will deliver this year’s lecture.
Menon will speak about what the vote for ‘Brexit’ means for the UK and its relationship with the European countries who remain a part of the union.
The free event is open to everyone and will be held at the British Academy in London, UK, on Tuesday 30 May from 6pm. Advanced registration is essential.
Menon is Professor of European Politics and Foreign Affairs at Kings College London having previously been Director of the European Research Institute at the University of Birmingham.
He has held positions at University of Oxford (St. Antony’s College), Sciences Po, Columbia University and New York University.
Roger Jowell sadly passed away on Christmas Day 2011. Roger was co-founder of the European Social Survey (ESS) with Max Kaase.
Roger made a major contribution to the development of reliable comparative survey data through both the ESS and the International Social Survey Programme (ISSP).
Roger played a leading role in the establishment of some of the UK's leading social surveys, notably British Social Attitudes and the British Elections Study.
He also founded Social and Community Planning Research (SCPR) - now NatCen Social Research - and, in 2008, became Deputy Chair of the board of the UK Statistics Authority.
The event will be chaired by Professor Sara Hobolt, Sutherland Chair in European Institutions at the London School of Economics (LSE).
City, University of London (where the ESS headquarters are based), The Social Research Association, NatCen Social Research and the British Academy are organising this fourth annual memorial lecture in recognition of the outstanding contribution that Sir Roger made to the social sciences.
Dr. Rory Fitzgerald, Director of the ESS, said: “Roger cared passionately about Europe and therefore at this time of great change it is timely that his memorial lecture covers this critical issue. I am therefore delighted that Professor Menon has agreed to give this year’s lecture.”
Other news articles
- 27/11/17 European Social Survey has high impact
- 31/10/17 Round 8 data now available
- 25/10/17 The future of welfare: Basic income?
- 05/10/17 Call for Round 10 Question Module Design Teams
- 03/10/17 Invitation to tender: Report on measuring the media
- 25/09/17 Global Links workshop
- 22/09/17 October General Assembly meeting
- 30/08/17 Pre-announcement: Call for Question Design Teams
- 14/07/17 Looking ahead to ESRA 2017
- 04/07/17 Multilevel Data updated
- 22/06/17 Immigration event held in European Parliament
- 13/06/17 Round 9 Survey Specification published
- 10/05/17 European Social Survey to visit Albania
- 06/04/17 General Assembly meeting in April
- 27/03/17 Madrid to host latest event
- 24/03/17 ESS presents at European conferences
- 13/03/17 Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2017
- 02/03/17 European Journal of Public Health feature
- 28/02/17 Health results presented to European Commission
- 08/02/17 24 countries participating in latest survey
- 01/02/17 Registered users urged to complete survey
- 25/01/17 Data from South African survey now available
- 11/01/17 New paper explores measure of socio-cultural origins
- 05/01/17 ESS User Community reaches 100,000
- 08/12/16 ESS1-7 Cumulative file released