ESS User Community reaches 100,000
100,000 people have now registered with the ESS since 2002 to view or download all our survey data, available for free online.
The milestone was reached in mid-December 2016, with the overwhelming majority of registered users based in academia.
Of the 100,600 registered users as of 19 December 2016, 64% are students; 19% belong to a faculty or are researchers and 7.5% are undertaking a PhD thesis.
2.7% registered as private individuals; 1.7% belong to Governments across Europe; 1.7% belong to non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and a further 1.4% are in private enterprise.
The highest number of users are based in Germany - in fact, this group accounts for more than 10% of the total registered users (10,268 of 100,600).
ESS data is also popular amongst those in Belgium (8% of all ESS users); the United Kingdom (8%); the Netherlands (6%); United States (5%); Spain (5%) and Norway (5%).
When it comes to downloading the data for use in a statistical analysis programme such as SPSS or R, 69,830 of the registered users have downloaded all or some of the ESS data available online.
Again, the highest proportion of these users are based in Germany - with 11% of all ESS data downloaders registered in the country.
UK users are the second most likely to download data (8% of all ESS downloaders) with Belgium and the Netherlands close behind (almost 7% each).
Round 1 (2002) files are the most popular to download, followed by files from Round 6 (2012).
A version of the Cumulative Data File has been downloaded on almost 13,000 occasions. The most recent Cumulative Data File - comprising rounds 1 to 7 - was released in early December 2016.
Other news articles
- 30/01/20 Developing a global online panel
- 06/01/20 ESS awarded major Horizon 2020 grant
- 26/11/19 New experts appointed to advisory boards
- 31/10/19 Round 9 data now available
- 14/10/19 Exploring public attitudes, informing public policy
- 25/09/19 Your chance to field questions in our survey
- 19/09/19 Social science event at the European Commission
- 04/09/19 Global partnerships revealed
- 02/09/19 General Assembly meeting next month
- 28/08/19 Online consultation launched
- 25/07/19 Round 8 quality matrix now available
- 24/06/19 Pre-announcement: Call for rotating modules
- 20/05/19 Contextual information for Round 8 now available
- 10/05/19 Sir Roger Jowell Memorial Lecture 2019
- 12/04/19 Measures to prevent data falsification
- 11/03/19 New Horizon 2020 project begins
- 19/02/19 Director visits University of Western Australia
- 23/01/19 Jowell-Kaase Prize winner revealed
- 15/01/19 Upcoming General Assembly meeting
- 17/12/18 Cumulative Data File updated
- 29/11/18 Russian attitudes on climate change and energy explored
- 27/11/18 New report examines Russian attitudes on welfare
- 20/11/18 Registration opens for ESS Conference 2019
- 24/10/18 ESS ERIC General Assembly meeting
- 02/10/18 Europeans accept climate change is happening